Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Intro

I've resisted blogging for a long time, primarily because I don't really have anything to say. I am convinced that the same is true of the vast majority of bloggers. I mean, I do have something to say obviously, but not the world at large. A certain lackadaisical web master, however, convinced me that because he can't keep his backups running smoothly, I should find a new home for my Canada travelogue. Hence this blog. The name of the blog is misleading, by the way -- there will probably be very little about LPs here, though I do collect them half-heartedly.

I did stop and think about what it was that made blogs so intuitively distasteful to me before I gave in and clicked the button, and after some reflection I realized that most of them remind me of nothing so much as a perpetual Christmas letter. You know those things that your friends and relatives send you (unsolicited) around winter holidays, to tell you about all the tremendously exciting (to them) things that they did the previous year? They send the same one to everyone because they cannot be bothered with a personalized letter or e-mail. Single spaced, with margins all but obliterated because the thing has to fit on two sides of a single page, and leave room for a low-resolution photo of their smiling little brats. Well, blogs allow you to inflict the same kind of experience on your readers on a daily basis, if you so desire.

1 comment:

Steve said...

The style here is far better than on that low-budget server anyway. Looking forward to your LP observations.